Tuition Up, Football Down

Fall Term Review

Unfortunately for the undergraduate this past term, the football team did not fulfill early promise, and Dean Bundy did.

The Crimson eleven started the season by crushing UMass, 60 to 6, but won only two more games, losing 21 to 7, in the snow-filled Yale Bowl. Dean Bundy predicted on October 24 that tuition would go up in the "not distant" future, and confirmed the increase on January 19 when he announced that tuition would cost $1000 in the next academic year.

Speculation about the eighth House continued, and the University called a meeting to discuss its "character," and was reported trying to buy land for it. President Pusey, the Masters, and students sleeping eight in a triple room all agreed it was necessary. The chemists and the hygienists wanted buildings, and the astronomers wanted observatories; all WHRB wanted was a broadcasting booth. None of these wishes materialized, but the Advocate got the site and funds for its long-awaited building, which will rise at 21 South Street, next to the H.A.A., probably later this year.

On the judicial front, the chief justices of the United States, Canada, and South Africa were among those on hand at the "Government Under Law" Conference which commemorated the 200th birthday of John Marshall in early September.

Despite the testimony of Senator Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis.) Leon J. Kamin '48, a former teaching fellow and research assistant here, was acquitted by Judge Bailey Aldrich '28 on charges of contempt of Congress. Aldrich ruled that McCarthy's sub-committee had no authority to ask Kamin the six questions which he had refused to answer in a November, 1954, hearing.

McCarthy, confused about the relations of Aldrich and Kamin to the University (he thought Aldrich an overseer and Kamin a professor) termed the ruling "ridiculous to the point of being ludicrous." He suggested that impeachment be considered. When the trial began in November he had said he thought Judge Aldrich "would try the case well."

Cambridge provided more than its usual fare of interest for the undergraduate, and Councilman-Mayor Edward J. Sullivan provided much of it. He urged that local children be supplied with reindeer in their parks at Christmas, and when elected mayor, suggested that the University co-operate with the city.

Cambridge's fire department was in the news, once when they doused a fire in the Union (and flooded the ancient eating-hall), and again when they wanted to have their fire engine repaired. The decision having been reached about Christmas vacation, rides home (as far as Kenosha, Wis.) were offered to College and Radcliffe students. Unfortunately, the boys down at the firehouse had their alarms crossed, and the hook-and-ladder left a day before any students appeared.

The most obvious effect of student pressure, political or otherwise, was the extended Lamont schedule announced by University Librarian Paul H. Buck in November. From now on, unless some one changes his mind, buzzing lights and recirculated air will be available until midnight Monday through Friday, and a special opportunity will be provided for grinding on Sundays from 2 til 10 p.m.

Administration pressure was implied in statements concerning a cleanup of the annual freshman smoker. What effect the thinly veiled suggestions will have is undetermined, but it hardly seems likely that administrators will succeed in their aim of making the smoker something "every freshman would be proud to invite his parents to."

The local AFROTC unit decided against pressure, and submitted rather mildly to disestablishment. After this year's juniors complete their reserve training, there will be no more Air Force reserve training here. The potential airmen in the freshman and sophomore classes were given the opportunity of joining either NROTC or Army units.

The University's plan for increased integration of Army studies within the liberal arts curriculum was accepted by the Army for the ROTC unit here, and as part of the agreement the group here will no longer be specifically an artillery unit, but will prepare officers for all types of service.

If the football team's mediocre record was brightened only by a 7-6 victory over Princeton, and the weather was consistently terrible, the soccer and cross-country teams met with better success. Undefeated in dual meets, the harriers won the Big Three championship as Pete Reider took the individual crown. The soccer team won the New England and Big Three titles and tied for the new Ivy crown when Grey Hodnett scored in overtime to beat Yale, 2 to 1.