Council Reviews Plans For Mid-year Vacation

Proposals to Shorten Spring Reading Period, Resume School Earlier, Placed on Agenda

Student agitation for a longer break between terms has caused the Student Council to schedule a Monday vote on the plan, Edward M. Abramson '57, Council President, announced yesterday.

Abramson said that the Council will initially discuss two plans--one would take three days out of spring reading period, and the other would begin the school year a week earlier and create a Thanksgiving vacation. The Council might finally approve another arrangement, however, he added.

Meanwhile, Sargeant Kennedy '28, Registrar of the College, stated that any decision voted by the Council would have to be approved by the faculty and the governing board. "But," he noted, "the administration has generally given attention to the decisions of the Council."

2800 Remained

A poll of student opinion might precede any final decision, Abramson said. Widespread student discontent with this year's schedule, in which 2800 students received only one day off between their last final and their first class, was the motivation for this group's action, he explained.

Since there appears to be a general feeling of dissatisfaction with the current one-day recess, as reflected in yesterday's CRIMSON editorial, the Council will consider alternative proposals for a calender revision," Abramson said.

Should either of the prospective calendar changes be put into effect, a three-day interim between the final examination and the first day of classes would be scheduled. Neither would lengthen the spring term, and students would be free to work as early as in previous years.