Summer Classical Theatre Planned for Sanders Stage

Boost Drama Interest

A foundation of Harvard graduates will produce a major series of classical plays this summer in Sanders Theatre with the hope that the program will stimulate the development of theatre at the University, William Morris Hunt '37, executive producer, revealed last night.

Morris said that "this can help draw into Cambridge the type of people who are interested in the theatre and act as a cohesive force in concentrating attention on the possibility of a Harvard theatre."

The trustees of the foundation are all graduates of the University, and Morris pointed out that the program "should be considered as an organization of Harvardmen in cooperation with Harvard."

The trustees include Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, Louis L. Jaffe, Byrne Professor of Administrative Law, Harry Levin '33, professor of English and Comparative Literature, Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, Perry Rathbone '33, Elliot L. Richardson '41, and C. Rodgers Burgin '21.

The foundation will try to obtain several big name actors and directors in an attempt "to set up a series of high quality productions to illustrate the type of thing which might develop at Harvard," Morris added.

Attention to Drama

Jaffe stated that "most of the sponsors hope strongly for theatre at Harvard and this is one of the particular interests of the program." He said that the fact that this program will be done under the "Harvard name" should attract attention to the possibilities of the University as a dramatic center.

Robert C. Wood, assistant director of the Summer School, said that "the Summer School will welcome the group as a member of the summer community, although it will assume no financial obligations." Wood felt that the program had "real educational value" and said that "the Summer School will heartily cooperate with it."

Although the program's relationship with the Summer School is at present just one of cooperation, MacLeish has told Morris that he would like to see this become the central part of the Summer School in future years.