Professors Remain Silent On Eisenhower '56 Plans

Despite yesterday's medical announcement that President Eisenhower is physically fit for a second term in the White House, most members of the University's Government department contacted last night refused to commit themselves on the possibility of his running for reelection.

Several emphasized, however, that if Eisenhower does run, the question of his health will be of paramount importance in the ensuing campaign.

The speculation was caused by yesterday's statement by Dr. Paul Dudley White '07, the President's chief heart specialist, that Eisenhower "should be able to carry on an active life satisfactorily for another five to ten years."

General sentiment ran similar to that expressed by H. Bradford Westerfield, instructor of Government, who said the decision to run for a second term was entirely a personal question. Professors V. O. Key and Arthur A. Maass also refrained from predicting Ike's ultimate decision.

Daniel S. Cheever '39, Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Winthrop House, said that although the Presidency was a "man-killing job," to which the usual standards of an 'active life' could not be applied, he thought that Eisenhower would run again.

If Eisenhower does run, his health will inevitably be an issue, Maass stated. "The fact that you might be voting for the Vice-President will be important," he continued.

"Health will be an important back-door issue, if Eisenhower runs," Westerfield concurred. The Democrats undoubtedly will use this issue, although not overtly, he concluded.