Senate Plans Local Hearing On Disarming

Subcommittee Wants Opinions of Faculty

Members of the Faculty will testify before Senator Hubert H. Humphrey's Subcommittee on Disarmament when a proposed hearing is held in Boston in mid-April.

Francis R. Valeo, staff secretary of the subcommittee, said yesterday that the chances for a local hearing "are very good." He explained, "We would seek technical views as to control and inspection of more advanced weapons as well as opinions from political scientists on disarmament from both Harvard and M.I.T. faculties."

Although it has not been decided who will testify, David F. Cavers, associate dean of the Faculty of Law, has been working with Valeo and a professor from M.I.T. to determine speakers.

"I will probably testify myself," Cavers said. He has also approached Louis B. Sohn, John Harvey Gregory Lecturer on World Organization, about appearing before the subcommittee.

Under the jurisdiction of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the Subcommittee will attempt to get expert opinion on disarmament across the nation. Hearings to date have been held only in Washington.

Charles B. Smith '58, president of the Harvard World Federalists, said that he would urge his membership to attend and "to cheer for any speaker who expressed world federalist views." He felt that Sohn, co-author of a new book on disarmament and United Nations Charter revision, "would express our views."

Recommended Articles

WITHOUT A CHEER
To the Editors of the CRIMSON: In yesterday's CRIMSON you quoted me as urging all Harvard World Federalists to attend
Law School's Court Picked For Hearings
The Senate Committee on Disarmament will hold its first hearings in the James Barr Ames Courtroom of the Law School
Jenner Committee Reopens Boston Red Hearings Today
Senator William E. Jenner's Internal Security Subcommittee opens hearings again in Boston today and is expected to call upon at
Sohn, Edsall Call Soviets Sincere In Recent Disarmament Proposals
"Whatever type of disarmament we get, if we continue to wait, will be worse than that which we could get
Sohn Discusses Arms Control
"Arms control is a necessary step to disarmament," Louis B. Sohn, professor of Law, declared yesterday. Speaking before the Hillel
Committe Invites Letters
The following is the text of a request from Harvey Brooks, chairman of the subcommittee created by the Faculty Committee