Pennsylvania and Columbia Fives Overwhelm Crimson in Ivy Games

PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 22--Penn handed the Crimson its second defeat in as many nights and its eighth straight, 88 to 73, at the Palestra tonight before a crowd of 9,000. Al DeLucia and Dick Csencitz of the Quakers paced the scoring with 24 and 23 points respectively.

Last night in New York the Crimson bowed to Ivy League leader Columbia, 78 to 55, as the Lions rolled up their nineteenth consecutive victory over the losers. Playing without Chet Forte, the home team still had little trouble, as Ted Dwyer was high scorer with 21 points.

The visitors jumped to an early lead in tonight's game, and Penn trailed, 7 to 3, after three minutes. But then Joe Sturgis, Lou Bayne, and Csencsitz took charge as the Red and Blue spurted for 12 points and were never headed. After a 52-38 halftime lead, the winners relaxed and the second half was pretty even.

Dick Hurley paced the Crimson with 17 points tonight, and last night Bob Barnett was high scorer for the losers with 14.

In New Haven tonight, Princeton moved into second place in the league by battling through five overtimes before downing Yale, 79 to 77. The major college record is six overtime periods.