Improved Dartmouth Six Will Face Varsity Today in Hanover Contest

By Charles Steedman

When it comes to Ivy League hockey games against the Crimson, Dartmouth has had very little luck recently. The varsity has beaten the Green in eleven straight League contests, with two shutouts included in the last five wins. But Dartmouth's luck could easily change in today's 11 a.m. game at Hanover.

It could change in spite of the fact that the Green has won only two of its eleven games this season and that it lost an earlier encounter with the Crimson, 6 to 2.

It could change for two reasons: first, the game is at Hanover, during the Carnival weekend. That the time and place will make a big difference is more than a journalistic platitude, for in the past two seasons Dartmouth lost to the varsity by 6-4 and 6-4 at Hanover and then was trounced by the Crimson here, 4-0 and 10-0.

The second reason is that the Green has vastly improved over its early season form. In December, for instance, Boston College defeated Dartmouth, 11 to 3, but was only able to win by 4 to 3 in a second encounter on Thursday. Coach Eddie Jeremiah has been shuffling his predominantly sophomore lineup, including the use of three different goalies, and may have hit upon a powerful combination.

Varsity coach Cooney Weiland was more than a little worried about Dartmouth's improvement yesterday. "They're relaxed now," he said, "and they'll be tough to beat." Then he remarked that the Green had obviously gotten a lift from its performance against B.C. and it was too bad to have to play them two days later.

Weiland was confident, however, that the varsity was in top condition and had been showing a lot of improvement itself. "We're ready to go," he said, thinking probably that wins over Dartmouth today and Brown next Saturday would move the varsity close to its third straight Ivy League championship.

Junior Terry O'Malley will play today for the first time since he was injured in the Dalhousie game in December. Weil-and plans to alternate him with Joe Crehore on the second line and Pete Summers on the first. The combination of Summers, Bob Cleary, and Lyle Guttu will probably start the game.