Armenian Club Intensifies Drive To Raise Endowment for Chair

$35,000 Now Collected

The fund raising campaign to endow a chair in Armenian studies at the University will receive added support with a 13-city speaking tour, beginning this week, by a representative of the supporting group.

Manoog S. Young, chairman of the National Association for Armenian Studies and Research, will speak before various Armenian groups in New York City this week, after addresses yesterday and today in Hartford. His tour will include speeches in Washington and the Midwest, ending next month in Albany.

Thirty-five thousand dollars, of the $300,000-goal has been raised, according to Alan M. Fenner, the Association's local representative. The fund drive is scheduled to last three more years.

But Fenner expects slow progress in the future, due to a conflict with an overlapping drive by the Armenian General Benevolent Union. Both Fenner and Richard N. Frye, associate professor of Middle Eastern Studies, last night expressed hope that the Benevolent Union will contribute from $15,000 to $25,000 toward the chair.

Frye, who initiated the plans for an Armenian professorship, said that the drive needs some large contributions to stimulate momentum.