College Continues Undecided On Acceptance of AFROTC

Amherst Reject Offer of Air Renewal

While Harvard and most other colleges remained quiet, Amherst College yesterday declined the Air Force offer which would have allowed its AFROTC unit to remain. At the same time Amherst's President Charles W. Cole revealed here-to-fore unknown conditions which the college would have to accept in order to keep its unit.

Cole listed two reasons for his decision: 1) the Air Force unit would be allowed to remain only on a trial basis, and could be suspended again in a "year or two," and 2) a general lack of interest in the program itself. Cole said that a majority of Amherst students preferred to serve in the military forces under the draft. He added that he thought retaining the unit would be "neither fair to the Air Force nor the students here."

The trial basis under which a college would be allowed to retain its unit strengthened earlier reports that Harvard might not look with favor upon retaining the unit. An Administration official said yesterday that no decision has been reached. He explained that the University has not yet begun negotiations with the Air Force, but did not elaborate.

Columbia Decides Today

Columbia, another of the 24 colleges which have been offered the option, will announce its official decision today. Reliable sources indicated last night that the university will reject the Air Force offer.

The Air Force announced last Thursday the withdrawal of its original plan to disband the units. A spokesman said the reason for the change in policy was that "good will and interest generated by the units outweigh the potential savings in money and manpower." He did not reveal that the units would be continued on a trial basis only, however.