Dyer, Hawkins Set Record Times As Swimmers Trounce Springfield

Lowers 50 Mark to 22.4

By Philip M. Boffey

Record-breaking Chouteau Dyer in the 50 and Dave Hawkins in the 200 individual medley sparked the swimming team to a 56-28 trouncing of Springfield at the I.A.B. last night.

Not content with chopping 0.9 seconds off his own 100 record and 0.2 seconds off the Crimson 50 record against Navy Last Saturday, Dyer promptly relowered his 50 mark from 22.8 to 22.4

Besides being a Crimson record, his 50 time breaks the Harvard pool record of 22.5 set by Yale's Kerry Donovan in 1953. Especially encouraging is the fact that no Yale sprinter has done better than 22.6 or 22.7 this season.

Hawkins' medley time of 2:13.0, which will be submitted for a new American record, also bodes well for the Yale meet, for it equals the time set by Eli sophomore Charles hard in last Saturday. North Carolina's Krepp, however, has reportedly done a 2:11. Since Hawkins was tired a bit from swimming the butterfly leg of the medley relay, however, he may very well lower his record even farther.

Crimson Relay Wins

In the 400 relay, the Crimson team of Dyer, Jon Lind, Ron Mischner, and Jim Jorgensen won by 35 yards and came within half a second of the Crimson record of 3:28.1.

Grif Winthrop took first in the back-stroke with a clocking of 2:31.0, while teammate Harold Santmire finished third.

Earlier in the day the freshmen defeated the Waltham Boys club 49 to 28, with Captain Dick Seaton taking the 200 in 2::02.3.

The varsity swimming team's next meet will be on Saturday, Feb. 11, against Brown in the Indoor Athletic Building at 8:45 p.m. The freshman team will face the Bruin cubs in the preliminary meet at 7:30 p.m.