Backers of Ike, Stevenson Plan Joint Poll of College

Students Asked to Choose

The presidents of "Students for Stevenson" and "Students for Eisenhower" agreed last night to conduct a joint poll asking undergraduates their preference between the two potential 1956 presidential candidates.

James G. Hatcher, Jr. '56, leader of Stevenson's backers said that the proposal of Morton Korn '57, head of the Eisenhower group, is a "very fine idea." He maintained, however, that it must be approved by his organization.

The poll which Korn intends to distribute through the dining halls will receive an "appearence of impartiality," he said, through its sponsorship by both groups. Korn stated that Senator Estes Kefauver's name could also be added on the ballot if Democrats wanted it.

Membership figures of the two societies according to Hatcher, indicate that Stevenson has a "definite edge" in the college. "Students for Stevenson" consists of 250 members, while the Eisenhower organization only numbers 110.

Korn argued that Eisenhower's decision to run for a second term will stir up interest in the college for Ike's campaign. Stevenson has wider appeal with University students, however, Korn admitted, "because he surrounds himself with an intellectual air."

"Students for Eisenhower" last night unanimously approved Korn's proposal for a poll in the near future and another one in the early fall to defect changes in undergraduate opinion after the two political conventions.

In a primary-type poll of the University, conducted by the HLU in the Spring of 1952, Eisenhower received 1360 votes over the second-place Stevenson's 400.