Basketball Team Will Oppose Dartmouth

Indian Five Choice In I.A.B. Encounter

By Adam Clymer

The Crimson's last chance for a significant win this season will come tonight at 8:30 when league-leading Dartmouth opposes the varsity five at the Block-house.

Dartmouth, now leading Columbia by a full game, is heavily favored in tonight's encounter. The Indians, who have come on very fast after a disappointing start, whipped the Crimson 71 to 58 at Hanover in January.

Yale, an up and down team all season, meets the Crimson tomorrow night, also at 8:30 in the Blockhouse. The Elis, paced by Ivy League scoring leader Johnny Lee, will also be favored, but their erratic ball-handling and the undependability of Lee's teammates make the Elis less sure of a win than the Indians.

Crimson Starters

Captain Warren Kantrowitz, Ike Canty, Bob Hastings, Bob Barnett, and Dick Hurley will start tonight for the Crimson. Coach Floyd Wilson hopes that the team's victory over Boston College Saturday will provide a needed lift, and enable the Crimson to pull the upset that might cost Dartmouth the title.

The Indians, while not primarily a fast-break team, can run well. But the predominant feature of their attack is good shooting. Before beating Yale Thursday, Dartmouth had scored on 37 percent of its field goal attempts. Jim Francis, the team's second high scorer, at six foot eight, has sunk 48 percent of his.

Indian Starters

Besides Francis, the Indians will probably start Ron Judson, the team's high scorer at 15.1 per game, and Dave Carruthers, averaging 9.9. Captain Toby Julian, the team's playmaker, and Gene Booth, a defensive ace, round out the starting five.

Lee, averaging 23.7, needs only 46 points in his remaining three games to break Ernie Beck's all-time Ivy scoring record. Lee is a consistently fine ball-player, able to hit on sets or drives, and will be the main threat to the Crimson. Captain Ed Robinson, the team's top rebounder, Dean Loucks, Chuck Ross, and Tom Sargent round out the Eli quintet.

The Crimson has now won six games and lost 13, but won only two while losing eight in the League, and is now in eighth place, half a game behind Brown.