City Will Tow Away Illegally Parked Autos

Cars Delaying Job Of Snow Removal

By Robert L. Chazin

The Cambridge Police Department will tow away all student-owned cars blocking snow removal operations, Police Chief Patrick F. Ready warned yesterday. "If they don't cooperate, we'll tow every car on the streets away," he said.

Ready said that the cars, especially on Boylston St. and some side streets, were preventing the snow-plows from clearing the roads. "If there was a fire at the end of one of those streets, some of the buildings would burn to the ground before we got an engine through," he added.

The police chief pointed out that under a state law, the Commissioner of Public Works could order the towing. The approval has already been given. "If cars are damaged by the tow-trucks, the city is not responsible," Ready stated.

Lowest Rates

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Ellery Garage, which does all police towing in Harvard Square, revealed that "quite a few" student cars had been towed away yesterday. The official, who wished to remain anonymous, stated that the rate for Harvard students was six dollars for towing, plus a dollar a day for storage, "the lowest in the country."

Meanwhile, Boston Police Chief Thomas F. Sullivan issued an order banning all parking in the city after 6 p.m. yesterday. Sound trucks were dispatched to prevent shoppers from parking on the streets, and the police announced that they would tow all cars away after the deadline.