Law School's Court Picked For Hearings

Experts Will Testify About Disarmament

The Senate Committee on Disarmament will hold its first hearings in the James Barr Ames Courtroom of the Law School Monday, April 9, to get opinions from Boston's public and academic community, David F. Cavers, Associate Dean of the Faculty of Law, announced yesterday.

Two hearings are scheduled, according to Cavers, who has been asked to make the arrangements. At the first of the meetings, all persons interested in the subject may speak, while at the second, experts on international affairs will present their viewpoints on the subject to provide a "definite and connected picture," Cavers asserted.

The staff director of the Foreign Relations Committee's subcommittee indicated that discussion would take up weapons development in the U.S. and the Soviet Union, Soviet attitude on disarmament, the technical aspects of international inspection and control, legal and political considerations, and the effects of bilateral disarmament on American foreign policy.

The primary reason for choosing the Boston area as a starting point in the subcommittee's tour, Senator Hubert H. Humphrey (D-Minn.) explained, was the large number of experts in the international field at the universities in the area.

Humphrey had asked Cavers and Max Millikan, director of the Center for International Studies at M.I.T., to recruit a number of professors as witnesses before the subcommittee. Cavers said he could not yet release the list of speakers.

The proceedings will be televised in the same hall where the Law School put on the mock trial for "Omnibus" last week.