Teams Will Head South for Games Over Next Week

The Sporting Scene

With the arrival of spring vacation, many teams will head South for practice encounters with various college teams over the vacation. Almost all the teams will be handicapped by the lack of adequate practice, the result of the recent weather which has prevented them from going outside.

* * *

The baseball squad will leave over the weekend for their opening game with the Quantico Marines at Quantico, Virginia. From there they will visit Richmond University, Hampden-Sydney, Virginia, Catholic University, and Delaware. Coach Norman Shepard said that the team has had almost no outside practice so he would consider the trip a success if only the starting lineup for the season is determined by the end of the trip.

* * *

The lacrosse team will also make its annual jaunt South, leaving Sunday afternoon for a swing that will take them to Hofstra, Rutgers, Baltimore, and Navy. The Annapolis team is expected to provide the toughest competition and is favored to defeat the Crimson despite the fact that Coach Bruce Munro will have a squad much improved over last year's.

* * *

Captain Art Siler will lead the track team to Quantico, Virginia for a meet sponsored by the U.S. Marines. Over forty colleges will enter teams, and several leading amateur groups will also participate in the meet, a preliminary Olympic try out. The Crimson will enter the meet primarily as practice for the coming season.

* * *

The largest contingent of golfers ever to make the trip will journey to Pinehurst, North Carolina for a week's practice on one of the finest courses in the nation. The team has had no real practice save for a few sessions in Dillon, practicing drives. Coach Harold Williams feels that the trip will afford the team an excellent opportunity to get in shape for the regular season.

* * *

Two of the country's leading intercollegiate court tennis players, Nicholas Ludington and Dwight Davis, number 1 and 2 on the Harvard team, will represent the Crimson at the National Invitation Tournament next week on their vacation trip to Aiken, S.C.

* * *

The rugby team will not go to Bermuda to defend its intercollegiate title, since the 1956 championships are being held this week to coincide with the vacation period of the other Ivy League colleges. The team will practice for the California trip in late April.