Undefeated Squash Varsity to Oppose Elis

In Final Match

Two years ago an undefeated varsity squash team, assured of the national intercollegiate championship, traveled to New Haven to play the role of underdog against Yale. Today a somewhat similar situation faces the 1955-56 Crimson varsity. They are undefeated in ten matches, having lost ten out of ninety individual encounters. On the strength of comparative match scores, they have sewed up the National Intercollegiate Championship.

Nevertheless, today's contest with Yale is rated as practically a tossup by squash coach Jack Barnaby. "On their home courts, Yale will be as tough as, or tougher than Army," he said. The Crimson defeated the Cadets, 7 to 2, in their hardest fought match of the year.

The Yale courts have high vaulted ceilings and are much hotter than those in Hemenway. Because of this, there will be many long rallies where conditions will be of prime importance. The Elis are experienced in playing the hot-court game and should give the Crimson all the competition it can handle.

Two victories seem certain. At first singles, Ben Hechscher should continue his undefeated season over Fred Zimmerman, who has had only a mediocre year. Number eight man, Larry Sears also carries a clean record into the Yale encounter and should maintain it with little difficulty.

The Crimson's strength at the first five positions should be the telling factor in match. Cal Place, Charlie MacVeagh, Pete Milton, and Lee Folger have all shown marked improvement over the season and should be able to take their individual encounters.

In 1954 the Harvard underdog upset Yale, 7 to 2, to end its season undefeated. The choice here is that the same thing will happen today, by about the same score.