Varsity Fencing Team Favored To Defeat Blue in Match Today

The varsity fencers, with a medicore three and five record, hold an edge over Yale in a match today in New Haven.

The epee will need to win three matches against a strong Yale squad to enable the varsity to win. It started the season poorly, winning few matches, but last week the group came to life and won 5 to 4. Bill Pierskalla regained his last season from and Doug Fitchen returned to the team to lead the victory. Les Zuzerman will lead the Eli's veteran epee team.

The Crimson foil division composed of Hubert Hocutt, Cliff Thompson, and Steve Schneider is favored to beat the Bulldogs. If the varsity wins the foil today it will give that group the Ivy League championship.

Sabre is the most even contest of the day with both teams fielding sophmores. Pete Runnels, Mitchell Thomas and Dave Silbert will fence for the varsity.

The match will finish the varsity's dual meets but next week it goes to New York for the Intercollegiates. The foil has a good chance to win, but the other divisions are not favored. So far this season, the varsity has beaten three non-Ivy league opponents, Trinity, B.U. and M.I.T. but lost to N.Y.U., Columbia, Princeton, Cornell, and Penn.