Hoadley Calls Biochem Plan Now Adequate

Hits Plan to Drop Non-Honors Studies

By Adam Clymer

Non-honors concentration in Biochemical Sciences was termed "a very advantageous approach to medicine" last night by Leigh Hoadley, Master of Leverett House and professor of Zoology. Hoadley said he was "very definitely opposed" to the pending proposal to abolish such concentration with the class of '59 and subsequent classes.

Most other sources were unwilling to comment on the plan, pleading ignorance of details, or holding that it would be unsuitable to discuss the matter before the Faculty meets tomorrow. The text of the report recommending abolition of the non-honors field has not yet been released by Dean Bundy.

There were indications yesterday that the Student Council would ask tonight that the Faculty not make a decision at tomorrow's meeting, but wait to allow the Council to study student opinion on the subject. Merom K. Brachman '58, Council vice-president, last night asked interested pre-medical students to communicate their opinions to Council representatives so that the Council might gain an understanding of student feeling.

Hoadley believed that there is "a big place for Biochemical Sciences on a non-honors level," explaining that through such a program the premedical student gets the best oportunity to take a diversified program and still fulfill his basic premedical requirements.