Unbeaten Track Team Wins Heptagonals

ITHACA, N.Y. March 3--Sterling performances by its key men enabled the undefeated Crimson track team to capture its first indoor Heptagonal victory in history at Barton Hall tonight.

Superior depth paid off as the Crimson racked up three firsts, three seconds, two thirds, and ties for third and fourth. The final score read Harvard 39, Cornell 36, Dartmouth 31, Army and Yale 23, Princeton 16, Penn 10, and Brown and Columbia last with 1 point apiece.

As in its previous meets this year, the varsity's big point producers were the middle distances.

Jim Cairns led most of the way to win the 1000 by 16 yards in the creditable time of 2:16. Dick Wharton, however, had to come on with a tremendous finishing kick to edge Dartmouth's Dick Schad for second.

In the 600, French Anderson was boxed during the first half of the race as John Ingley of Cornell, the eventual winner, built up a big lead. Anderson's finishing sprint made up part of the deficit, but he was unable to close the gap enough to win. Pete Reider went into the last lap of the two-mile even with Lou Quantannens of Army. His finishing kick was too much for the cadet as he won going away by ten yards in 9:41.5, his best time of the season.

Superior Crimson baton passing spelled the diference in the mile-relay, the closest race of the meet. Anderson, leading off, passed to second man Al Wills even with Bob Scobey of Yale. Wills handed third man Mike Robertson a three yard lead, and Robertson gave anchorman Wharton six yeard on Cornell's Ingley. Both Cornell and Army passed Wharton to put him six yards behind at the gun lap. Increasing the pace, he passed the Army runner, reached the final corner at Ingley's shoulder, and outsprinted him to the tape, winning 18 inches in 3:23.4.

Captain Art Siler uncorked the best toss of his career, 50 feet, 5 inches, to take second in the shotput. Jack Murphy leaped 5 feet 10 inches to tie for third in the high jump, while Kip Smith's 13 foot pole vault gave him a tie for fourth.

Dartmouth's Doug Brew ran a torrid anchor leg as both the Indians and Army outran the Crimson two-mile relay team. Cairns tired by his 1000 effort barely held a 30 yard lead given him by Dick Norris and Otis Gates. Anchorman Bill Morris could do no better than third.