Yale Sextet Beats Varsity Despite Disputed Play, 1-0

By Charles Steedman

NEW HAVEN, March 4--The record books will say that the Yale hockey team defeated the varsity for the first time since 1952, in New Haven yesterday, 1 to 0.

But the records won't speak of the controversy that heightened the sting of the Eli upset. It started when Crimson coach Cooney Weiland removed Captain Flynn from the goal with 11 seconds of the game left in order to attack with six forwards. The move apparently paid off when Bob McVey scored on a last-second shot.

The clock showed that time had expired, however, and after consulting with the timekeeper, the referees maintained that the goal did not count.

A wild scene followed as Weiland and the Crimson players stormed the officials and argued vainly for several minutes. Then, as the varsity left the ice, two mild brawls broke out between players and spectators before police could escort the team to the dressing room, amid thunderous boos from the crowd.

Official timekeeper John E. Lind clarified the situation somewhat tonight. In the New Haven Arena, the green light signalling the end of a period is not automatic, but is operated by the timekeeper, who lights it when the clock show no time is left. Lind said he based his nogoal decision on the fact that "the clock time is left. Lind said he based his nogoal decision on the fact that "the clock showed 0:00 before the puck hit McVey's stick." McVey's subsequent shot, then, came after the game was over, and the manual delay in turning on the light caused the controversy, Lind said.

Defensive Game

Yale won by playing the same kind of defensive game that Northeastern used to upset the varsity on Tuesday. Play was in the Eli zone most of the time, especially in the last period, yet the Crimson forwards were consistently unable to work the puck in near the mouth of the goal for clear shots.

Eli goalie George Scherer played well in registering his third Ivy League shutout of the season. He made 32 saves in all, and his defensemen probably made as many additional.

The Elis won the only way they could: by forcing a break and then playing defensively the rest of the way, with close covering and hard backchecking. The break came at 1:48 of the second period, when Dave Ingalls passed out from behind the cage to John Akers, who was uncovered in front and slapped the puck past Flynn.

The defeat ended the varsity's 12-game League winning streak and was its first League loss since February, 1954