Four Houses Lead After Initial Round Of League Debating

Adams, Dunster, Kirkland, and Winthrop were the winners in the first round of debates sponsored by the newly-formed House Debate League. The question was: "Resolved: That the Federal Government should compel the state of Alabama to grant equal educational opportunities to Negroes."

Adams, with Peter A. Berle '58, Gerald M. Kolodny '58, and Carl W. Braun '58 upholding the negative, defeated the Lowell affirmative team of Mark A. Michelson '57, Thomas M. Harrington '58, and Anthony M. Lamport '57. Thomas E. Baker '58, Thomas M. Bergen '57, and Robert B. Hill '57 upheld the affirmative for Dunster in their victory over Daniel J. Johnedis '57, Paul R. Brass '58, and Joel J. Schwartz '59 of Dudley.

Kirkland's negative speakers, J. Turner Lloyd III '57, G. Brian Wilhelm '57, and Ronald Gerstl '57 won over Leverett, represented by Henrik Blohm '57, Robert P. Bergin '57, and Alan Merson '56.

Eliot's debaters, Franklin P. Bennett, Jr. '57, Huston J. Banton '57, and Ira B. Shepard '58 lost to the Winthrop negative, composed of Paul F. Beatty '56, William E. Crosby '56, and Edward M. Kennedy '56.

The second round will include debates between Eliot and Leverett, Winthrop and Kirkland, Lowell and Dunster, and Adams and Dudley. The topic for these debates is: "Resolved: 'Tis better to be a conformist than a non-conformist."