Freshman Sports

Bill Branon pitched the Yardling baseball team to its third straight shutout victory of the year on Saturday as the Crimson defeated Exeter Academy 7 to 0 at Soldiers Field.

Thirdbaseman Maurice Balboni was the hitting star for the Freshmen with a double and a single. Coach Adolf Samborski singled out the keystone combination of George Harrington and Levon Kasarjiian as deserving of special praise. The duo accounted for two double plays in Saturday's game.

* * * * * *

The undefeated Yardling track team opened its out-door season by swamping the Dartmouth freshmen, 95 to 45 at Hanover Saturday afternoon.

Double winners for the freshmen were Joel Landau, who took the 100 and the 200 low hurdles, and Carl Pescosolido, who won the discus and the javelin. Bill Thompson led a Crimson sweep of the mile, while captain Al Gordon won the 440.

* * * * * *

Tabor Academy overcame a first-half deficit to defeat a stumbling freshman lacrosse squad Saturday, 7 to 4, on the Business School field. John Neary turned in a goal and two assists for freshman scoring honors.

Manuel Cabral scored unassisted in less than a minute to give the Crimson the lead. Neary took a pass from Dave Rintels for the second goal and Dick Eldridge made the score 3 to 2 at the half. Mike Edwards scored the final freshmen high for the visitors with four tallies, goal in the fourth period. McKenzie was

* * * * * *

Governor Dummer proved tough competition for the Yardling golf team Saturday, but the freshmen downed the Governors, 5 1/2 to 3 1/2 at South Byfield.

Playing in the first foursome, Frank Dodge and Al Blinken blanked their opponents, 3 to 0. Mike Taylor and John Filoon halved the front nine, but won 2 1/2 to 1/2. In the third foursome, Dave Bernstein and Bob Grundeman ran afoul of hot Governor putters, losing 3 to 0.