Tennis Varsity Defeats Cornell To Remain Unbeaten in League

Team Strong in Singles

By Leo A. Guthart

ITHACA, April 28--The varsity tennis team easily defeated Cornell six matches to three at the Cascadilla Tennis Club today to remain undefeated in the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League. The varsity, with only four of its first ten regular players available for the trip because of general examinations, won five of the six singles matches and one of the three doubles.

Dale Junta, who took over the number one singles position for yesterday's match with Army, defeated Cornell's Craig Fanning in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. Captain Brooks Harris, playing at number 2, exploited Charley Bernstein's retrieving game and won 6-1, 6-3.

Floyd Downs of Cornell edged Maynard Canfield at number 3, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, while Cal Place, at number 4 for the visitors, took advantage of Don Arnaud's weak backhand and won 10-8, 6-0. Ian Glanetti, the Crimson's regular number 11 player, started at the 5 position and won in straight sets, 7-5, 6-0. At number 6, Crimson sophomore Alan Goldman topped William Keane 6-2, 7-5.

In doubles, the Crimson was not so successful. Its lone win was posted by the first doubles team of Brooks Harris and Dale Junta, who won 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. Cal Place and Pete Krogh lost a very close second doubles match 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 and the third doubles tandem of Douglas Gardner and Manny Elizalde bowed 7-5, 6-3.

Yesterday, the Crimson topped Army by 6-3 at West Point.