'Step Test' Eliminated For Future Freshmen

College May Adopt Dartmouth System

By Cliff F. Thompson

The Department of Physical Training has abandoned the College's traditional introduction to exercise, the step-test, thus opening the way for an overall revamping of the freshman physical testing program.

This departure from the infamous up-and-down test makes it possible to "explore other areas for examining the student's capabilities," according to Nathaniel A. Parker, Assistant Director of Physical Training.

For the incoming freshmen, however, no specific test is now planned, which also rules out any compulsory "special exercises" classes. The apparent policy trend of the Department of Physical Training is toward the adoption of a plan modeled after Dartmouth's more comprehensive testing schedule.

Step Test Imperfect

The more restricted step-test could only gauge the student's endurance factor "at the particular moment it is taken," stated Parker.

Not only are the possibilities of judging physical fitness limited by the step-test method, Parker added, but the results can also vary greatly from day to day. "Factors such as a cold or lack of sleep can considerably alter the analysis," he said.

The elimination of the step-test ends the program originated during the Second World War under tight security regulations. The Navy, needing a quick way to check physical efficiency, played an important role in developing the test.

Unclad applicants were soon stepping up-and-down on a high bench to the authorities' rapid count. Both the method, and especially the results, were considered confidential information.

Dartmouth Test Stringent

The Dartmouth system prescribes that a student must pass a rope climb, a standing broad jump, a speed-agility obstacle test, and a swim test within a narrowly prescribed time limit, as well as fulfilling certain other minimum standards.

Everyone, for example, must swim 50 yards under 60 seconds. On the basis of his total score, each student is rated on "A", "B", or "C". The "A" may drop physical training, the "B" may select his sport, and the "C" is assigned to some exercise by the Physical Department.

The standards for an "A" rank are fairly high, requiring, for instance, a 7 foot, 10 inch standing broad jump, and a 50 yard swim under 35 seconds.

The Yearbook has not announced a new method to photograph freshmen.