Stevenson Won't Abandon 'Egghead' Advisory Group

Press Secretary Says

By Paul H. Plotz

Despite the fact that Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38 and others of Adlai Stevenson's advisers from the University have not been specifically asked to help in '56, there has been no conscious attempt to avoid "eggheads," Roger Tubby, Stevenson's press secretary said last night.

In an article in the New York Times yesterday, Richard J. H. Johnston said that "the eggheads are hard to find among Adlai E. Stevenson's 1956 strategists. The starry-eyed amateuars who carried the ball in 1952 have yielded to a group of political veterans." Late last night Johnston said he meant that these people were not in the forefront as in '52.

To date, however, only one of Stevenson's former advisers here has been advising him at all. This is Schlesinger, head of the Illinois governor's research staff in the last campaign. Schlesinger said last night that although he has not been specifically asked back to his old position, he has been in continuous touch with Stevenson and Thomas K. Finletter, co-chairman of the New York committee.

He will be on sabbatical leave next year and said he will be free to work for the campaign.

Tubby said that far from avoiding "egg-heads," Stevenson had been receiving advice right along from many intellectuals, including Schlesinger. He pointed out that the campaign so far is still on the primary level.

"If we get the nomination," he said, "we'll be calling in these and other egg-heads again. Stevenson very definitely attracts people of intellectual attain- ments and aspirations."

The four others besides Schlesinger who had been working with the governor on an informal policy advisors group since '54 are John Kenneth Galbraith, professor of Economics who is out of the country now; Alvin H. Hansen, Lucius N. Littauer Professor of Business Administration who will retire at the end of the year; Arthur A. Maass, associate professor of Government; and Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, on sabbatical leave now.

Maass said that he does not know whether he will work with Stevenson again. Hansen, who has not met with the policy advising group since June, said that he has not been asked back and does not plan to work for him, but that he did not feel Stevenson was avoiding eggheads