Wyzanski, Overseers' Chairman, May Serve on Delegation to U.N.

Governmental Recommendation

Charles E. Wyzanski, Jr. '27, Chairman of the Board of Overseers and Federal District Judge for Boston, has been offered membership in the U.S. delegation to the United Nations for the November session of the General Assembly.

Service on the ten-member delegation presumably would not require resignation from the federal bench or official leave of absence. Up until last night, Wyzanski had not announced his acceptance or rejection of the offer.

Secretary of State John Foster Dulles announced on Saturday that as a delegate Wyzanski would advice Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge '24 on legal issues. The Judge's name was submitted to the State Department by Lodge and given "unqualified approval" by Massachusetts Senator Leverett Saltonstall '14.

A graduate of the Law School, Wyzanski was appointed to the Boston district by President Roosevelt in 1942 at the age of 35--one of the youngest judges ever named to the Federal Bench. Earlier, he had served as solicitor for the Department of Labor, from 1939 until his judicial appointment.

In addition to serving as chairman of the Board of Overseers for the past three years, Wyzanski is a trustee of Smith College, Phillips Exeter Academy, and the Ford Foundation. His service on the U.N. delegation would begin on November 12, when the Assembly convenes, and extend through mid-December at the earliest.

Wyzanski yesterday received a Doctor of Laws degree from Brandeis University at their commencement exercises, along with Erwin N. Griswold, Dean of the Law School, and Felix Frankfurter, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.