Pulitzer Prize Winner J. A. Lewis Among 11 Receiving Nieman Grants

The Nieman Foundation has announced the appointment of 11 American news papermen, including Pulitzer Prize winner J. Anthony Lewis '48, as Nieman Fellows for 1956-7.

Five foreign newsmen were also appointed as Associate Fellows by arrangement with the Carnegie Corporation and the Asia Foundation, which sponsor the associate fellowships.

The fellowships cover one college year of resident study at the University, where recipients may pursue studies of their own choice as background for further newspaper work.

The Nieman Fellows, who will be on leave of absence from their newspapers, are Lewis, former Managing Editor of the CRIMSON and presently a reporter for the Washington Bureau of the New York Times; Harold V. Liston, city editor of the Daily Pantagraph in Bloomington. Ill.; and Robert F. Campbell, editorial writer of the Winston-Salem Journal and Sentinel.

In addition the Foundation appointed Charles H. Hale, a reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle; Burnell A. Heinecke, reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times; John C. Obert, city editor of the Park Region Echo in Alexandria, Minn.; Frederick W. Roevekamp, reporter on the Christian Science Monitor; and Frederick W. Pillsbury '50, editorial writer on the Boston Herald.

Also named were Marvin Wall, reporter for the Columbus (Ga.) Ledger, which won the 1954 Pulitzer Prize; William Worthy, correspondent for Afro-American and CBS; and Lawson M. Wright, a reporter on the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

The Associate Fellows appointed were: John Cornwall of Auckland, Australia; Denis Warner of Australia; Kazuo Kuroda of Tokyo; G. K. Reddy of Bombay; and Marghub Siddiqi of Pakistan.