About the Supplement

Since the CRIMSON first planned to do this supplement in February, editors have traveled more than 10,000 miles in the South to gather first-hand information for it. We have not attempted to give here a comprehensive picture of the situation; we rather have tried to spotlight certain local developments and specific problems of the highly complex question of Negro education.

The editors who wrote this supplement are Andrew W. Bingham, Frederick W. Byron, Jr., Adam Clymer, John J. Iselin, Christopher Jencks, Victor K. McElheny, Steven R. Rivkin, George H. Watson, Jr., and John G. Wofford. Photographic work was done by John B. Loengard, Robert M. Pringle, and David H. Rhinelander.

Of the many organizations and Individuals who helped us, we would especially like to thank the Southern Education Reporting Service, the Southern Regional Council, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and the National Scholarship Service and Fund for Negro Students. The NAACP also kindly let us use some of the many excellent photographs in their files.

Additional copies of this supplement may be purchased by contacting the CRIMSON, 14 Plympton St., Cambridge 38, Mass.

This supplement is copyright, June 14, 1956, by the Harvard Crimson.