Finley, Monro Discuss College's Future Possibilities of Expansion

In Sanders Theatre

Two men--College administrators--yesterday presented two different views on the problems which the University will face if it begins to expand.

Speaking in the symposium, "The College: Its Future Size and Shape," both John U. Monro '34, Director of the Financial Aid Office, and John H. Finley '25, Master of Eliot House, agreed that the College will expand. However, they differed in their conceptions of what expansion will involve.

Finley told the New Lecture Hall audience that as the College expands it will have to supply a sense of community living to its students. According to Finley, this "sense" implies a delicate balance between the strong in scholarship and the strong in character. Harvard must not be merely "a place for future professionals," he added.

Monro placed more emphasis on the idea that it is the University's duty and obligation to expand. "We owe the country no less," he said. He further pointed out that the University has become a great one only by "taking on one big problem after another with enthusiasm and success."

By embarking on such a program as expansion, Harvard will continue to be dynamic, responsive, and ready to change and thus maintain the greatness which has been hers for centuries, Monro continued.

Houses Most Important

Both men turned to the House system to make main points. Finley felt that the answer to the expansion problem lies in part with the delegation of more administrative responsibilities to the House faculty, since "the responsible scholar is the better scholar."

The result will be increased involvement of the faculty with the students, a goal which the College should aim for in the coming years, he added.

The College's success and experience with the House plan was one of Monro's primary methods for taking up the burden of an expansion policy. He said that the Houses have become much more important since the war and in them lies the key to an expanded Harvard.