Classroom TV Operates Here

Education School teacher trainees and members of the Summer School Conference on Educational TV watched a closed-circuit telecast of a Newton schoolroom session yesterday morning as the Harvard Graduate School of Education went into the second day of an experiment in educational television.

Newton schoolchildren went through their lessons before television cameras as the teacher trainees watched on a movie-sized TV screen at Harvard's Littauer Center, eight miles away.

Began Monday

The purpose of the television test, which began with a broadcast Monday morning and was due to close with a showing this morning, has been to find out how television can help generally in the preparation of new teachers at the school of education.

The Wednesday session was open to members of the conference on educational TV, who opened this summer's annual series of conferences.

Broadcast from Newton

The classroom activities were broadcast from the Weeks Junior High School, where children voluntarily attend summer school. The televised classes make it possible for education students to observe demonstration classes without crowding into the classrooms themselves. Dr. Robert H. Anderson, chairman of the School of Education's Advisory Committee on Educational TV, explained that although the telecasts will be useful, they probably will not remove altogether the need for actual classroom visits.