Lieder at Paine

The Music Box

By Donald P. Marston

In the first of a series of Summer School concerts open to the public, Malama Providakes, mezzo-soprano, and Paul Des Marais '49, pianist, presented a program of songs by Ravel, Brahms, Debussy, Faure, and de Falla at Paine Hall on Tuesday.

Miss Providakes has a rich and well placed voice, full throughout its range, and what is more important, she knows how to use it to best effect. In the Ravel and de Falla songs the voice was full-throated and sensuous. Where the music seemed to indicate some degree of brittleness and harshness the tone was drawn out to wire tautness. Debussy's "Trois Chansons de Bilitis," the best job of collaboration of the evening, were done with great delicacy and warmth. The result here and in a group by Faure was a fine sense of communication to the audience of artistry, feeling, and intelligence. Particularly notable was the contrast in voice and in mood the singer achieved between the Faure "Au Cimitiere," with its somber and melancholy lines, and the wistful "Adieu" of the same composer.

The group of German lieder by Brahms went less well. Although Miss Providakes' dark quality is excellent for these songs, the deep sense of longing of the "Feldeinsamkeit," and the fierce dedication of "Von ewiger Liebe" did not come across. In these selections, however, the singer was distinctly hampered by heavy-footed and often overbearing accompaniment; there was little or no blending.

As Miss Providakes modestly saw fit not to grant encores, it is to be hoped that we may have a full encore recital soon.