Sophomore Places Won By 11 Entering College

Advanced Placement Examinations Taken By 170 This Year

By Blaise G.A. Pastory

Eleven former members of the Class of '60 have won sophomore standing and will skip their freshman year under the Advanced Standing Program which this year was opened for the first time to all Harvard applicants. The eleven new sophomores graduated from Exeter, Andover, Western Reserve and Horace Mann.

Over 170 secondary school seniors took one or more of the advanced placement tests offered officially at all schools for the first time this Spring, Harlan P. Hanson '46, Director of the Office of Advanced Standing, revealed yesterday. Candidates had to get satisfactory grades on three exams to become sophomores. Those who succeeded in less than three tests may get a later reduction in their course requirements, Hanson stated.

The 11 students who fulfilled these requirements will receive credit for four courses including two general education courses and will get all Sophomore privilages. They may, however, stay for an extra year to complete the regular four-year College term.

None in Houses

Although the newly-created sophomores may move into one of the Houses, none of them has as yet wanted to do so, according to Hanson. "They are either afraid of the new surroundings or are already bedded down in the Yard," he commented.

Hanson believes the students are "mature enough" too advance one grade if they can get satisfactory grades on three of the tests and a recommendation from the Department of their intended concentration.

Candidates who took the exams in a language this year had to take another test this fall, since the College Entrance Examination Board's standards do not satisfy the language departments.

Five students who may be eligible for sophomore standing are still under consideration by the language departments. Applicants in languages must show that they have had the equivalent of courses in advanced conversation and writings or a literature survey course.

One other hindrance in the way of this year's program, Hanson said, was the lack of an American History examination. "This year we had to accept the recommendation of the history teachers at the schools," he explained.