Swimming Team Overcomes Army As Dyer Excels

Captain Chouteau Dyer continued his assault on the record book as he tied his own Harvard record in the 100-yard freestyle and broke the Army pool record for the 50-yard freestyle, to lead the Crimson to a close 49-37 win over the Cadets Saturday.

With the meet hanging on the final relay, the 400-yard freestyle, anchorman Dyer began nearly one-half a body-length behind, and finished nearly ten yeards ahead of his Army rival. Unofficially, he was clocked in :49.9 for the 100 yards, .4 second faster than his own record which he had tied previously in the meet. Jon Lind, Pete Macky, and Dick Seaton swam the other three legs.

22.4 in Fifty

In the 50-yard freestyle, Dyer swam the distance in 22.4, eclipsing the old pool record set by Yale's Sandy Gideonse by .2 second.

John Hammond and Bob Jaffe placed first and third in the 220-yard butterfly, while Jim Stanley and Dave Falk finished first and third in the 200-yard orthodox breaststroke.

Greg Stone put on one of his finest exhibitions of the year in the dive, nearly upsetting Army's defending Eastern Intercollegiate Champion Frank Knight. Going into the last dive, Stone held a slim lead, but Knight pulled out the victory on his last dive, winning 79.5 to Stone's 77.5.

Medley Relay Wins

Bill Murray, Stanley, Sigo Falk, and Lind started the evening off for the varsity with a clear-cut victory over the Cadets in the 400-yard medley relay.

Army's Goody Goodman stood out for the Cadets, winning both the 200 and 400-yard freestyle. The varsity's Dick Seaton finished second to him in both, with Macky taking third in the 220 and Tom Cochran placing third in the 440.