Republicans Advocate Mitigating Connecticut Anti-Speed Campaign

Students who drive through Connecticut on their way to and from the University may soon have less worries about speeding.

Republican leaders in the state's General Assembly are preparing for a fight with Democratic Governor Abraham A. Ribicoff over his anti-speeding campaign on Connecticut highways.

The legislators are seeking a reversal of the governor's order to the state Motor Vehicles Department that all drivers convicted of speeding shall automatically have their driving licenses suspended for 30 days on a first offense and 60 days on a second offense.

The Republicans control an overwhelming majority in the General Assembly.

Several bills have been introduced in the legislature, seeking to modify the governor's license suspension program, which went into effect on Jan. 1, 1956. During 1956, the state motor vehicles department suspended the licenses of 10,346 drivers for speeding, as compared with 372 suspensions during 1955.

One of the bills introduced by Republicans would prohibit the suspension of drivers' licenses on a first offense for speeding. Another would authorize restoration of suspended licenses in "hardship cases." These would include licenses of truck drivers and others who make a living by driving.

Another proposal calls for a "point system" for automobile drivers. Under this plan, drivers would be given points for each traffic violation, and their accumulation of points would be considered before license suspension is ordered.

"We have always tempered justice with mercy in this country.