Council Votes Resolutions Of Procedure

Discusses Problem Of Football Tickets

By Richard N. Levy

The Student Council last night passed several rules to improve its efficiency and knowledge of the matters it plans to discuss, although it was felt by several members that these rules will have no legal binding on the Council. The group also passed a motion to consult with ticket manager Frank O. Lunden on lost tickets.

The passed resolutions had been drawn up by Gerald M. Kolodny '58 and distributed to Council members. They provided in general for the executive committee to formulate policies for all matters on the agenda, allowing the rest of the Council to agree or disagree with its stands. Members would also have to sign a list before the meeting if they wished to speak early in the session.

Most of these measures were passed, except one calling for a straw vote during the discussion of an issue, and a proposal requiring all votes to be taken by roll call.

The most violent opposition to most of these suggestions came from Council Secretary Merom Brachman '58, who claimed that by voting the executive committee so much power, members were "sealing their own doom." He claimed the measures would "cut out free discussion," an opinion seconded by John Maher '60, who emotionally called them "the death of democracy."

Brachman further said that the proposals would not help and might even add to the Council's main weakness, which was, he said, that "people are afraid to think; people are afraid to fight; this is becoming a chicken Council."

The Council also agreed to accept student complaints about lost HAA ticket books, and take these to Lunden. Athletic Affairs chairman Stuart L. Levine '58 reported that Lunden "thought it was a good idea," although the problem had not yet arisen.