Vellucci Requests Aid Of Universities' Police At Busy Intersections

Harvard, Radcliffe and M .I. T. will have to use their own policemen to direct traffic at intersections where traffic lights are controlled by pushbuttons, if City Manager John J. Curry '19 acts on a proposal passed by a voice vote at yesterday's session of the Cambridge City Council.

Referring to the light on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Holyoke Street, Councilor Al Vellucci, author of the resolution, claimed that much of the traffic congestion in Harvard Square is caused by students and professors who keep pushing the button "all day long" and halting cars.

Vellucci contended that since the lights were installed primarily for the protection of students, the universities' policemen should be stationed at these intersections to direct pedestrian and automobile traffic.

City councilors will discuss the traffic problem in the Harvard area with representatives of the Metropolitan Transit Authority at an open, pre-election meeting next Monday.