Members Of 'Veritas' Give To Magazine

By Richard N. Levy

Members of the Veritas Committee have made monetary contributions to the Fortnightly, a conservative magazine published for the first time last June, the CRIMSON learned last night.

Many observers have strongly suspected for some time that members of the committee have given support to the magazine, but its editors have declined to admit this publicly. Robert H. Montgomery LLB '12, alumni adviser to the Fortnightly said last night that several "conservative alumni" had "contributed money and bought subscriptions." When asked whether any of these men were members of the Veritas Committee, Montgomery answered, "Oh, sure."

Any association with or control by the Veritas Committee was denied by both Montgomery and Thomas S. Winter '59, one of the heads of the magazine. Winter would not reveal whether any of the contributors were members of the committee, explaining that "I don't know whether these people want it known."

Winter also expressed a fear that a "campaign" might be started to "say we are a collegiate version of the Veritas Committee--which is not true." Montgomery also expressed this apprehension by saying defensively, "this is not a Communist front, you know, it's just an undergraduate magazine."

The Fortnightly will appear again about next Thursday, Winter said. The organization hopes to change its name to the Harvard Fortnightly, if the Student Council and the Dean's Office approve its constitution. The magazine's directors are now in conference with Dean Watson, hoping to gain this approval, and "we want it made very clear that we're not controlled by an outside source," Winter said.

The Veritas Committee was formed last March by a group of conservative alumni to protest and investigate the appointment of J. Robert Oppenheimer '26 as William James Lecturer last year.