Soccer Team Triumphs

Line Play Brings First Win, 5-1

By Jerome A. Chadwick

A Crimson soccer line operated yesterday for the first time this year as the varsity overran Williams, 5 to 1. Although somewhat hampered by the flu and injuries, the Crimson managed to reach a decision after three successive stale makes, and to demonstrate its scoring punch beyond doubt.

Ken McIntosh, at outside right for almost the entire game, found himself and returned to his old form. McIntosh scored two of the Crimson goals, and set up innumerable plays with sharp, accurate passes.

Captain Jim Shue, at inside right, scored only once but indicated complete recovery from an earlier siege of the flu. Shue set up many of the scoring plays yesterday, and played a fine defensive game as well.

John Hedreen and Roger Tuckerman alternated at center forward. Hedreen scored once for the varsity, but lacked the drive and good timing which characterized Tuckerman's play. Tuckerman played a hard, aggressive game and might have won a starting position for Saturday's Wesleyan game.

Sophomore Larry Ekpebu, at outside left most of the game, settled down to a flashy, yet solid game and scored once. Ekpebu used his agility to good advantage in faking maneuvers, but played too far inside most of the time and missed many good passes to the wing.

Crimson halfbacks caused the fullbacks some consternation. The midfielders played forward generally, and the backfield was forced to fill in at the center of the field too often. Right half Marshall Schwarz played his finest game, and figured both offensively and defensively. Center half Tony Obserschall was considerably off in his timing, but broke up several plays with headings. John Felstiner, at left halfback, played one of his best games.

Fullback play was again an important factor in the varsity showing. Junior Chris Provensen, at right full, played almost the entire game and seemed to be as good as his last year's peak. Left full Lanny Keyes used his size and toe to check most Williams attacks effectively.

Jim Perkins, out with an injury and the flu was replaced in the nets by Tom Bagnoli, who performed quite creditably.

Williams scored first, in the second period, when center forward Mike Baring-Gould eluded Crimson fullbacks and drew Bagnoli out of the cage.

The Crimson, after a mediocre first half, came back strong in the third quarter to score three times and wrap up the contest. Ekpebu scored first, when he lured the Williams goalie to one side and fired a perfect shot to the upper far corner of the nets. Ekpebu set up the winning goal three minutes later as he played the goalie beautifully and passed to McIntosh, who drove the ball home.

Shue made the score 3 to 1 at the end of the period as he picked up a loose ball in front of the Williams net and shot past a befuddled goalie. Felstiner set up the fourth varsity goal six minutes into the final period when he passed perfectly to Hedreen, who played the goalie well and shot past his reach.

McIntosh closed the scoring 40 seconds later when he dribbled the ball into an empty net, the Williams goalie having been lured from his post by a small jam.