Buttrick May Call Meeting To Pass On 'Cliffe Merger

It appears likely that if the PBH Cabinet approves the formal resolution for integration scheduled to be presented tomorrow, Radcliffe girls will be admitted to full membership in the organization.

Reverend George A. Buttrick, Chairman of the Board of Preachers, said yesterday that he might summon a special session of the PBH Association Committee, an alumni group, to consider the question of Brooks House merger with the Radcliffe Volunteer Service Organization.

The Association Committee, emphasized Buttrick, has always favored "student autonomy;" and Buttrick himself is considered to have furthered integration by opening morning prayer meetings to Radcliffe students and by voting to accept women in the Divinity School.

John C. Pittenger '51, alumni secretary of PBH, said that approval of the student decision would not be a mere formality. However, he added, the Association Committee would "hesitate long and hard" before rejecting the proposal for integration.

The PBH Association Committee normally meets only once a year. It is in charge of the endowment, and would have to approve funds for the increased scope of PBH committee work were a merger affected. Non-faculty members are William G. Saltonstall '28, Irving S. Michelmen '39, and Henry J. Landau '53. A meeting, asserted Buttrick, is dependent upon approval of the merger by the Radcliffe deans.

Other Groups Hesitant

Other student organizations were hesitant about accepting, or explicitly rejecting, proposals for full Radcliffe membership. The Harvard Glee Club announced that musical scores required that it remain separate from the Radcliffe Choral Society, although the groups give joint concerts.

A spokesman for the Lampoon, when asked whether the magazine was considering accepting Radcliffe members, replied, "Assuredly not." Harvard Year-book Publications, Inc. has rejected the suggestion of a Harvard-Radcliffe Year-book.