'61 Defeats Big Green Cross Country Squad; Yardling Soccer Wins

A fast-running freshman cross country squad, taking the first four places, trounced the Dartmouth freshman harriers, 17 to 42. It was the first time that four men of a freshman team have completed the course under 15:30.

The two leaders, Jared Fitzgerald and Brandy Harrison, came within 1.7 seconds of tying the track record as they both crossed the line at 15:02.4. Crimson runners Jacques LaFrance and Edwin Herrington ran the course in 15:13 and 15:20, placing third and fourth respectively.

The freshman soccer team moved into the victory column yesterday with a 1-0 victory over Dartmouth. Tom Blodgett, outside right, booted the ball through for the game's only score midway in the first period.

Blodgett climaxed a drive led by center forward Hillery Ng'weno and outside left Tadhg Sweeny. Dartmouth came close to scoring many times in the third quarter, but goalie Jim Atkins made several spectacular saves to stop the Indians.

This afternoon at Hanover the Yardling football team faces its first Ivy League opponent, after soundly defeating Tufts and Springfield. Coach Henry Lamar said that this game "is the first real test for the freshmen and we should have a good idea of our strength after it."