Health Center Will Include Store Space

Shrubbery to Line H-Shaped Building

By Richard N. Levy

Cronin's and all other business establishments now located in the block bounded by Mass. Ave., and Dunster, Holyoke, and Mt. Auburn Streets will be able to rent store space in the new combined Health Center and Administration building to be constructed on that site. Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the School of Design and architect for the building, disclosed this last night.

The stores will be built out at right angles from the H-shaped structure, and will face Mass. Ave., Holyoke St., and Mt. Auburn St. It is possible that the Cambridge Trust Company may occupy part or all of the new store space to face Mass. Ave.

Some of the present merchants, however, will have to move while construction is proceeding. The new structure will be built in two parts, Sert said, the first being the Health Center facing Mt. Auburn St. and extending back in a T-design parallel to Holyoke and Dunster. This will mean that stores in that area of the block, such as Cronin's, Cahaly's, and the Crimson Men's Shop will have to leave the block during construction.

James D. Cronin, owner of Jim's Place, said last night that he "would like very much" to stay on the block, but that moving away from it and back again would cause "an economic problem." "We hope that they will build in a manner so that we could move to a completed section of the building," he said. As plans now stand, this does not seem to be possible.

Underground Garage

Along with stores, the new structure will also contain a two-story underground garage, parallel to Holyoke and Dunster Sts. Although this will house mainly cars of the staff of the Health Center and Administration Building, there may be room for student cars in the first few years of the building's life, John W. Teele, Planning Coordinator, said yesterday.

The structure will be set back from the street on all sides, and will be surrounded by trees and shrubbery, to provide "a link of green with the Yard and the Houses," Sert claimed. The building will have from 10 to 12 stories, and will contain offices and meeting rooms, in addition to the House Center.