CRIMSON Opens Fall Competition For Upperclassmen at 7:30 Tonight

Good cheer and beer will flow at 14 Plympton St. at 7:30 tonight when the CRIMSON opens its doors to begin the fall competition for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The doors will open similarly next week to welcome members of the Class of '61 to the competition.

Between tours of the building and introductions to editors, students who attend tonight's meeting will learn that although they are entering a competition, they are not really competing at all--at least in the commonly accepted sense. Instead, they will strive to meet CRIMSON standards, and after a certain time those who have done so will be elected to one of the paper's four boards.

These four boards, they will be told, are the news board, which prepares the front page; the editorial board, which formulates and writes the second page; the photo board, which enlivens what news board members have written; and the business board, which makes sure that the paper is on the right side of the ledger.

The news board man will tell him of the excitement in tracking down sources until he gets the story he wants. The editorial board members will tell him of the satisfaction of seeing his opinions in print, or of putting into words the opinions of the majority of the board.

The photo board, he will be told by someone trying to take his picture at the same time, offers an opportunity to learn about photography and to know that 6600 people admire his photograph at one time. And finally, several calm, composed individuals will tell of the glory of the business board--the opportunity to meet many people and learn the persuasive tactics that keep pages filled with ads.