Eleven Sharpens Defense

Crimson football coach John Yovicsin put his squad through an extensive pass-defense drill yesterday as the varsity eleven prepared to open its season against Cornell this Saturday.

In both the Tufts and the Williams scrimmages, the Crimson was particularly inept against its opponents' aerial attacks, a weakness Yovicsin fears will prove fatal against the Ithacans. Cornell has a good passing attack, as it showed against Colgate last Saturday.

To all intensive purpose, the varsity's starting lineup is now set. Captain Tom Hooper and John Copeland will start at the ends, Pete Briggs and Shag Shaunessy will be the tackles, and Tom Hill and Hal Anderson are the guards. Hill is taking the place of Jim Keating, who is out for the year with a badly injured knee. Bob Foster will be the starting center. This line averages out at a hefty 207 pounds.

The starting backfield has remained unchanged for some days now and will see Walt Stahura at quarterback, Don Gerety and Chet Boulris at halfbacks, and Sam Halaby at fullback.