Students to Start Work on Current Joint Club Issue

By Martha E. Miller

Larry R. Johnson '58, president of the Student Council, and Susan Olsen '58, president of the Radcliffe Student Government, met yesterday morning with John A. Ballard, Assistant Dean of the College, and drew up a four-point plan for analyzing the question of Radcliffe membership in Harvard undergraduate activities.

At the first meeting of a Harvard-Radcliffe committee on the club issue tonight, Johnson and Miss Olsen will report their discussion with Ballard.

They will ask the group to assemble facts on the organizations situation for Ballard to present to the Faculty Committee on Extracurricular Activities on October 16, Johnson said.

Under its four-point agenda, Johnson reported, the committee will consider: 1) whether a joint activity would necessitate a combined Harvard and Radcliffe title, such as the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra; 2) who would charter joint organizations; 3) which Administration would assume responsibility for these clubs.

(It has been suggested that Radcliffe's Dean of Student Activities might become a member of the University's Faculty Committee on Extracurricular Activities to resolve this problem of administrative responsibility.)

And, 4) the committee will discuss whether a joint organization must include a Radcliffe member on its policy-making board at all times. This is a stipulation which the Annex Administration may insist upon, Johnson said.