Zen Master Will Lecture Tonight

Shinichi Hisimatsu, visiting lecturer on Zen Buddhism and a practicing Zen master will deliver a public lecture on "Philosophical and Religious Aspects of Zen Buddhism" tonight at 8 p.m. in the Andover Chapel of the Divinity School.

Hisimatsu is one of the world's leading exponents of Zen, the branch of Buddhism which rejects any logical system of theology and aims at producing knowledge of the universe by direct revelation.

Hisimatsu will speak in Japanese, and a simultaneous translation will be provided by his assistant, Jikai Fujiyoshi. He will also give two lectures on Zen art, at Fogg Museum Nov. 7 and Dec. 12.

He is also giving a series of seminars in Zen Buddhism for faculty members and students of the Divinity School and will lecture at the Andover-Newton Theological School October 24.

Hisimatsu received his training at the Buddhist Kyoto University in Japan, and later was a professor there and in other Buddhist colleges. As a Zen master, he has numerous disciples, mostly among young Japanese professors and students.