Hynek Says U.S. Will Know More About Red Satellite Than Russians

Experts Don't See Speed-Up of Project

Three University defense experts predicted that the United States would not attempt to accelerate its satellite program in light of the recent success of the Soviet Union in this field.

W. Barton Leach, professor of Law, and former director of the Defense Studies Program stated that "The United States has definitely been in the missile race" but has denied this in order to save face. "The United States cannot afford now to go all out," he said, "but must avoid appearing to be in the race and proceed at a normal rate."

Leach added that the recent Russian successes have been "particularly unfortunate" from defense secretary Wilson's standpoint. "The sentimental affection shown for Wilson as he is leaving office obscures the fact that his conduct of the Defense Department has not been such as to maintain superiority over, or even equality with, the U.S.S.R."

Both Edward L. Katzenbach, director of the Harvard Defense Studies Program, and Samuel P. Huntington, assistant professor of Government, agreed that America's satellite would not be put on a crash basis.

"There is not enough money for it," Huntington said. "The defense budget is a gruesome mistake," he continued. "The program should have been pressed much faster, but given the framework of a $38 billion budget, there wasn't much that could be done."

Katzenbach pointed out that Washington has been well advised of Russia's progress for the past few years and has refused to step up the pace of the U.S. missile and satellite programs.