University May Acquire Space Over MTA Yards

Administration Seeks Possible House Site

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The University has attempted, during the past few months, to work out an arrangement by which it could erect a building over the MTA carbarns on Boylston Street.

Anthony D. Pompeo, chairman of the trustees of the Metropolitan Transit Authority, said last night, "We have had several conferences concerning air rights over the car barns off Harvard Square, opposite Kirkland House. Harvard wants to build over our yards."

Since the need for more undergraduate housing space is presently the major concern of the University, this space might eventually become the location of the ninth House. President Pusey has put both an eighth and ninth House high on the building priority list. With arrangements for the eighth House complete, the University will probably attempt to obtain land, or perhaps air, for the ninth House.

Pompeo also said that the University has had its architects and lawyers at work on both details of construction and the legal problems involved in purchasing "air space."

A meeting is planned for next Monday, at which he expects the University to clarify its position towards the property. He also stated that as the MTA converts to "trackless trolley" some land might also become available for purchase. Edward Reynolds, administrative vice-President, Cambridge city manager John J. Curry '19, and Pompeo will be present at the meeting.

Pompeo emphasized that no definite agreement of any sort has yet been made between the University and the Metropolitan Transit Authority.