Cross Country Squad Overwhelms B.U. in Complete Victory, 15-50

Both the varsity and freshman cross country teams scored easy victories at the expense of Boston University yesterday afternoon over a muddy Franklin Park course.

Nine Crimson runners crossed the finish line before B.U. could place even one man, as the varsity achieved the perfect score (in cross country) of 15-50.

Pete Reider led the parade, followed by Dyke Benjamin, Willie Thompson, Ed Martin, Mac Brown, French Anderson, Capt. Dave Norris, Dave Donaldson, and Wes Hildreth. George Hillier of B.U., a strong runner in the past, could do no better than tenth yesterday.

Reider and Benjamin duelled for the lead for most of the race, with not more than five yards separating the two until the last half-mile. At this point Reider turned on a burst of speed which left Benjamin about 50 yards back at the finish.

The performances of Thompson and Anderson were particularly encouraging, as both improved a great deal on their times against Maine last weekend. Thompson started slowly yesterday, but went from seventh to third place during the last hilly section of the course.

The freshman race produced a meet record by Harold Hatch of B.U. which overshadowed solid performances by several of the Crimson runners. Hatch covered the 2.8 mile distance in 14:21, six seconds under the record set by Johnny Kelley seven years ago. Kelley has since become the leading distance runner in this country.

Hatch was, however, pressed all the way by Yardling aces Brandy Harrison and Jared Fitzgerald, who took second and third respectively. John Boris of B.U. was fourth, followed by Jacques LaFrance, Ed Harrington and John Evans of the Crimson. The final score of this meet was: Harvard 23, B.U. 38.