Bevan Fears Another World War, Seeks to Stop Power Polarization

The Rt. Hon. Aneurin Bevan warned yesterday that "all the elements in the world today are moving toward catastrophe" and that the polarization of power makes conflict inevitable.

Bevan, in an informal press conference, stressed the need to reduce the degree to which the United States and Soviet Russia have divided the world into separate camps. Bevan, however, declined the role of "bridge" between the two camps, saying that the Labour Party in England cannot and will not ditch British commitment to NATO.

Recommending that the areas of closest contact, such as the Middle East and Central Europe, be made into neutral areas or "geographic cushions," Bevan echoed the advice of Labour Party leader Hugh Gaitskell, who made similar recommendations in his Godkin Lectures here last spring.

He said that he saw "no prospect for German reunification," one obstacle to neutralizing Central Europe. He continued that advances in long-range planes and in missile warfare made Russia "more disposed to increase relaxations in Central Europe"

Bevan predicted that a Labour government in Britain would cooperate effectively with the United States "on any major diplomatic venture" He said that he would actively work to gain U.S. recognition of Red China and analyzed American public opinion as "sympathetic" to such a move now. He said that recent events in Formosa had proved that Chiang was not a strong ally.

Bevan will speak at the Law School Forum in New Lecture Hall tonight at 8 p.m.