Police Seize Leverett Sophomore For Holding Seven Stolen Guns

Didn't Know It Was Illegal

Police invaded the Leverett House library Sunday to arrest a sophomore for harboring seven rifles and revolvers in his room. The student, Blair F. Bigelow '60, was charged with receiving stolen property.

The guns were taken from a Concord, N.H., store on Sunday by two boys, David P. Newell, 19, of Concord, and David B. Saunders, 19, of Bethesda, Md., and an unidentified girl, 17, and were driven to Cambridge in a stolen car.

Bigelow said that he forgot, under pressure of the moment, that guns are not allowed in the College dormitories. He admitted that he knew the guns were stolen, but claimed he did not realize it was a criminal violation to receive the weapons.

The sophomore stated that his friends came to him on Sunday night and convinced him to keep the guns. "Everything happened so very quickly, and I didn't have time to think," he said.

Concord police reported that the three youths--Newell, Saunders, and the girl--kicked in the glass in the front door of the Mickey Finn store in Concord, and stole 11 pistols and rifles worth $700.